Just in Time for Holiday Entertaining…

The homeowners used blue tape to visualize their idea.

We were delighted to receive an email from an interested customer that found us on Angie’s List with a great idea to improve his holiday entertaining. I met the homeowner in South Berwick to scope out the project and gather some info in order to provide a proposal. He and his fiancee’ have a formal dining room, with access through a cased opening from the kitchen. They wanted to cut a hole in the adjacent, structurally supporting wall that separates the dining room from the living room.

Dining room “before,” as seen from the kitchen.

I was excited about the opportunity to do this project. The customers had a great vision that would fit their home perfectly, their budget was perfectly realistic, and a simple one week project would offer great improvement in how the home serves its owners. What’s not to love?

Dining room “after.”

The first thing we were going to have to do would be to build temporary support walls in order to cut the existing structural wall. The temp walls would also serve as dust protection. We gently opened small troughs in the ceiling drywall on either side of the supporting wall, to determine proper locations of temporary supporting walls. We built the temp walls and stood them to be held by a nice friction fit- no screwing through floors or ceilings. We sealed them up with plastic and we were ready to make a confined mess.

The clients were great to send us these photos of the finished product.

We marked the opening to be centered on the wall and so that the height would match the existing cased opening from the kitchen. Next was removing all the drywall, studs, and top and bottom wall plates. Now it was time to install the new engineered beam and supporting studs in order to carry the load of the floor joists above. The final construction step required installing new sheetrock pieces and taping and mudding to a smooth, paintable finish.

Finished product as seen from the fireplace looking into the dining room.

The clients were excited when we finally took down the temp walls and plastic. They could finally see and feel how half of the first floor was transformed when traffic patterns were dramatically changed in just one week.

 

 

The homeowners decided to remove the baseboard heat and handle all of the staining and painting themselves, thus keeping the budget down to approximately $2,000 for this great project…just in time for Thanksgiving and all of the season’s entertaining. Thanks for the fun project James and Melanie.

 

By John Bradshaw

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>